Faith & Learning Blog
What's New with Technology in Education
At the recent State of the School Meeting and Society Meetings we shared a number of things about what was happening at Calvin Christian. One of the most important and exciting is the plan we have for implementation of technology in the classroom.
The increasing use of technology as a teaching tool is often called One-to-One Education. More and more schools are replacing traditional textbooks with a computer in the hands of each student. This allows for many more creative options for teachers in how they deliver curriculum.
Calvin has been studying this for about two years. After visiting schools that have implemented One-to-One and learning from their successes and failures, and after studying the research, we have decided to move forward. Following are a few highlights of what we are planning.
We will need to upgrade our wireless infrastructure during the 2013/2014 school year.
- During the 2013/2014 school year teachers will begin using a Chromebook cart with junior high students.
- During the 2013/2014 school year teachers will be trained in how to best use One to One technology in the classroom.
- Special parent meetings will be held to explain how this will be implemented and the details of how it will all work.
- In the fall of 2014 we will have Chromebooks in the hands of every junior high student.
- In the fall of 2015 we will have Chromebooks in the hands of every high school student.
It is clear that education is headed in this direction. One to One is another tool for teachers to utilize with their students so that our curriculum, and its’ delivery, is the best it can be. We are excited for this next chapter in our school and will provide more details in the future.