The Search for our Next Superintendent and Elementary Principal
Calvin Christian School in Escondido, California is seeking a unique leader for our school (preschool – 12th grade) beginning July 2018.
Calvin Christian has been serving Christian families in north San Diego County for 56 years by providing a Christian education to their children. If you are passionate about leading a team that delivers a superior education grounded in a biblical worldview to prepare children for a life of Christ-centered service, we invite you to apply for this position.
The leader we seek will fulfill the roles of preschool - 12 superintendent and K-5 principal. We know this requires a special leader, but the experienced, energetic faculty & staff and deeply supportive community will provide the foundation for success.
For questions about this position, please email email@example.com
To download a copy of the Opportunity Profile, please click HERE.
Superintendent/K-5 Principal Position Description
Hiring & Staffing
Managing Vision & Purpose
Approachability & Listening
Overview: The Calvin Christian School Superintendent/K-5 Principal is a combined position that includes responsibilities for both roles. As the K-5 Principal, the selected candidate is charged with the operation and ongoing development of Calvin Christian Elementary School in all its facets with academic, spiritual, physical, social, and fiscal soundness. As the Superintendent, the selected candidate is charged with being the chief executive and operating officer. This includes the operation and ongoing development of Calvin Christian School (preschool-grade 12) in all its facets with academic, spiritual, physical, social, and fiscal soundness and with consistent adherence to the Christian faith as summarized by the Reformed standards. The Superintendent is also responsible for the management of the educational, business, and development aspects of the school, carrying out the policies and objectives established by the Calvin Christian School Board. The Superintendent/K-5 Principal will be a member in good standing of a confessionally Reformed/Presbyterian church.
Reports to: Calvin Christian School Board
Organization and Administration
- Provide for the health, safety and welfare of students at all times.
- Establish a wholesome spiritual and educational atmosphere that will characterize Calvin Christian School as a distinctly unique Christian school in the Reformed tradition.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for Calvin Christian along with the Calvin Christian Board President for certain matters.
- Be available and visible to students, parents, faculty, and the Christian evangelical community at large while taking an active interest in all extracurricular activities.
- Recommend, initiate, and execute policies and decisions of the Board concerning the internal operation of the school.
- Plan and lead elementary faculty meetings.
- Provide and maintain adequate student records to assure all local, state, and federal requirements are met.
- Provide advice to the Board on opportunities and problems.
- Provide leadership and direction for long-range planning, methods, and policies.
- In conjunction with others, recommend policies necessary to insure an excellent educational program as stated in Calvin Christian School’s philosophy and purpose.
- Supervise the organization of the PreK-12 curriculum to assure that our educational efforts complement one another.
- Be responsible for the direction and supervision of the K-5 staff and handle discipline problems referred by K-5 teachers.
- Assist in the administration of student testing, evaluation, and communication.
- Coordinate matters pertaining to employee relations such as re-employment, termination, resignation, and employee benefits.
- Be responsible for the development of and the implementation of an evaluation process for all personnel and programs.
- Supervise the work of 8 direct staff members (e.g. assistants, directors).
- Hire staff and recommend to the Board the best qualified faculty candidates.
- Create in-service programs and promote the professional development of the faculty and staff and interpret their needs to the Board.
- Provide effective leadership for faculty and staff by inviting participation in the decision-making process, motivating, developing, and correcting as appropriate.
- Under the supervision of the Finance Committee, assist in annual budget preparation.
- Initiate approval of all requisitions for supplies, equipment, and material necessary for the operation of the K-5 campus.
- Establish priorities for budget allocations and coordinate the expenditures.
- Develop and monitor monthly financial reports for submittal to the Board.
- Work cooperatively with outside auditors to accomplish a smooth annual audit of Calvin Christian School financial records.
- Communicate annually with all employees regarding benefits available to them.
- File necessary reports with State and Federal Agencies as prescribed by law.
- Oversee responsibility for use, rental, and maintenance of all facilities and equipment including audit systems for maintenance, cleaning, and energy consumption.
- Assure compliance with State and Federal mandates for buildings, personnel, and transportation on school vehicles.
- Oversee building improvement plans.
Enrollment and Development
- Works with Director of Development to evaluate all fundraising plans, to review visits with donors, and to establish annual fundraising goals.
- Works with Director of Enrollment and Marketing to oversee public relations and all communication going out from the school.
If you have any questions, contact Jim Jansma, Transition Team chairman, at: SuperApplications@CalvinChristianEscondido.org